top of page

Historic Sites

Fannin Memorial Monument
The Fannin Memorial Monument marks the common burial site of Col. Fannin and his men. The monument is just east of the Presidio La Bahía.

Angel of Goliad Monument
Francita Alavez, the "Angel of Goliad," accompanied Capt. Telesforo Alavez to Texas in March 1836. The Angel of Goliad Monument is located between the Presidio la Bahia and the Fannin Memorial Monument.


Fannin Battleground State Historic Site
The Texas Historical Commission operates the Fannin Battleground Site.

City of Goliad
Take in the sites around the city of Goliad. You can start by stopping at the Goliad Chamber of Commerce office located at 231 S. Market Street for a walking tour map and other information about Goliad and surrounding communities.
Walking Tour Brochure
City of Goliad Map

Fannin Plaza Park
This city park is home to a memorial and a Texas Revolution cannon. There are benches and a children's play area, Fort Fun.  The park is located at 160 S. Market Street and managed by the City of Goliad.

Hanging Tree (Cart War Oak)
Between 1845 and 1870, this live oak tree served as the site of court sessions. Death sentences pronounced by the court were carried out immediately. The Hanging Tree is located on the north side of the Courthouse Square. More information can be found on the Texas A&M Forest Service Website

Baptist Oak Tree
On May 7, 1849, a dozen Goliad citizens, led by Rev. John Freeman Hillyer, met under this live oak tree, just a block off the town square, to organize the first Baptist church west of the Guadalupe River. More information can be found on the Texas A&M Forest Service website.

Masonic Temple
Constructed and dedicated in 1854, this limestone structure is home to Goliad Lodge No. 94, the oldest Masonic Lodge in continuous use in the State of Texas.

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
This building was erected in 1883, and was consecrated in 1885. It served as a mission church until it was elevated to parish status in 1913. The building, regarded as one of the most beautiful small churches in the state, features several stained glass memorials.


Mission Espíritu Santo
State Historic Site

The restored Franciscan mission Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zuñiga was home to one of the largest ranching operations in Texas in the 18th century. Texas Parks & Wildlife operates the mission, which is on the grounds of Goliad State Park and Historic Site.

El Camino Real de los Tejas Visitors Center

The new Visitors Center is a place to learn about the influence of El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail in South Texas.  This Visitors Center is owned and operated by the Goliad State Park and Historic Site and is located on Hwy. 183 S & S. Burke St.


Zaragoza Birthplace State Historic Site

Ever wonder why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo? It honors General Ignacio Zaragoza who was born here in 1829. The general and his troops defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.  The newly remodeled Zaragoza Birthplace is located west of the Presidio la Bahia.  This site is owned and operated by the Goliad State Park and Historic Site.

Mission Rosario State Historic Site

The ruins of the 1750s Mission Rosario are about 4 miles from the park, just west of the town of Goliad. A historical marker and interpretative signs explain the history of this mission.


Presidio La Bahía

The Presidio and Our Lady of Loreto Chapel are operated by The Catholic Diocese of Victoria. Check their website for events or book a night in the Quarters.

Goliad County Courthouse

The current courthouse is Goliad’s third courthouse, the rough-cut limestone structure was designed by Alfred Giles. The courthouse is home to the County Judge office, District and County Clerk records offices and many more.

43 Court House.JPG

The Canoe Trail and Texas Paddling Trail

The Canoe Trail Goliad hosts two floatillas a year, Spring and Fall along the San Antonio River.

Since 1974-2.png
bottom of page